Proper planning and packing is the key to a safe and comfortable trip to Kenya. Make sure you keep the following in mind when packing for your trip.
Remember that Kenya has a tropical climate. You should prepare yourself for a wide variety of conditions that may include dust, and wet, hot and/or cool weather. Put careful thought into your preparations and pack accordingly depending on your reason for traveling to Kenya and the activities you intend to participate in.
Furthermore, make certain that your luggage can withstand harsh conditions as well, particularly if you intend to travel to different parts of the country. You also need to keep the requirements of the airline you will be flying with in mind. And don’t forget to leave some space to bring back gifts!
Here are some basics to have when packing for your trip to Kenya:
- Basic essentials
- Comfortable, lightweight, and casual clothes (if you are on a safari, neutral is best, bright and bold is not)
- Comfortable and strong shoes or boots
- Brimmed hat
- Insect repellent
- Formal / Occasional wear (depending on your reason for travel)
- Prescription medication
- Sunglasses (and a spare pair)
- Medical kit (for exploration)
- Swiss Army Knife (for exploration)
- Flashlight (for exploration)
- Video camera and accessories
- Travel documents – passport, visa, others
- Vaccination Certificates
- Insurance Documents
- Traveler’s cheques
- Credit / Debit cards
- Sandals or flipflops
- Kenya maps – city/town maps and travel guides
- Notebook, tablet or smartphone